My name is Sarah and I have had Trichotillomania since I was around the age of 13 or 14. I am now 18. You do the math. ;P My life has been very tough all through Junior High and High School. I have gone through therapy which did not work. It was the whole technical, "How do you feel about that?" sort of thing. I thought that the whole thought of seeing a therapist was stupid. I haven't seen one in, maybe, 3 years. I've also seen a hypnotherapist which also did not work. I've tried antidepressants, Aderal.. Nothing has worked. What I believe is a cure for this disorder is having faith in yourself. I know, I know.. That's not something I would want to find out either.
This IS controllable.. This is just something we need to overpower ourself instead of finding something doing all the work for us. I have been pull-free for a day, so far. I know, it's not all that great right now, but I feel like I can do this. I have gone pull-free for a month before.. Which was 3 years ago.. I just told myself to stop, and I did. I went to a TLC center last year somewhere in Texas, and seeing all of the people with Trich felt like a dream. Sometimes, I feel like I am still alone with this disorder. But I met a girl, which I cannot remember her name, had Trich since she was 13, and she's now in her 30's. But she had gone pull-free for 3 years straight. That gives me faith that I can fight this. But I met the lady who put the whole clinic thing together.. It was heartbreaking when I saw her. She had no hair on the top of her head, and had a little bit of hair on the back of her head. My mother and I chatted with her for a while and my mother asked her what are some ways she tries not to pull, and the lady said, "I do not try anything anymore. I believe that there is no cure. Trich is a-part of me and I cannot stop it." That broke my heart, but I am not going to give up like she did. And I hope none of you do, either.
There are two women who inspired me to blog about my Trich life.
http://atrichylife.blogspot.com
http://hubpages.com/hub/TTM-Short-for-Trichotillomania-Your-year-to-stop-pulling
I hope all is well, and if you have any question, just ask away. (:
xoxo, Sarahh.

No comments:
Post a Comment